Almond CravingsPosted: May 22, 2011
Last week I found a recipe at “The Little Red House” for Almond Butter. I immediately wanted to make it, and after that, every recipe I saw that included almonds held my stomach captive with lusting for that delightful crunch. I also stumbled upon a Raspberry Crumble recipe. At the grocery store I caved and purchased a container of almonds. My stomach may have smiled just then.
This afternoon while my hubby was at work I decided to satisfy my almond craving.
3/4 cup natural almonds
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
10 oz. frozen raspberries
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9″x9″ inch baking dish
– pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground
– combine ground almonds, flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. mix
– add melted butter and stir until all is well combined
– press 2/3 of dough into dish
– scatter raspberries, then crumble remaining dough on top.
– bake 35-40 min, until golden brown
I had enough stuff leftover to make an extra little guy- but I also didn’t use a 9″x9″ pan. I also added some brown sugar on top. Serve it as is, or with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Next, I tackled the almond butter. It sounds easy- and trust me, it is.
-put 1-2 cups almonds on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 min.
– cool slightly
– throw them in the food processor and let them go for 10-15 min. Eventually it will become creamy. throw in a dash a salt, and scrape the sides. Keep going. It will get there. If after 15 minutes it still isn’t creamy, add a little bit of oil: coconut is preferred (or vegetable if you don’t have any coconut oil).
– spread it on bread, fruit, or whatever you like!