Ready for FallPosted: September 12, 2011
I am so, so ready for fall. I’ll be honest, I’ve been ready for fall since the end of June. It truly is the perfect time of the year.
Weather is cool enough to be enjoyed.
Perfect time for boots, blazers, and sweaters.
Time to head to the apple orchard, drink apple cider, and bake pumpkin pie.
Time to cook warm, hearty dishes that warm you from within.
I live for fall.
However, the weather has not picked up on the fact that it is September. The last two days it has been near 90 degrees. I am in denial of this hot spell. Last night we had mini chicken pot pies for dinner. Perfect for Fall.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
1 lb. chicken breast, cubed, cooked
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped potatoes
1 cup chopped green beans
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
pie crust (2 pieces)
– preheat oven to 425. grease large muffin pan
– in the skillet combine, chicken and vegetables. cover with broth. Bring to boil for 15 minutes. drain, but set aside broth. set aside chicken & vegetables.
– in skillet, melt butter, then slowly whisk in the flour. slowly add 1 cup milk and chicken broth that was set aside. add salt & pepper. Whisk together. Simmer to let thicken.
– combine sauce with chicken & vegetables.
– drape muffin tins with circles of pie crust. fill very full. lay on second layer of pie crust.
– bake 30-35 minutes.
*it would be wise to set your muffin tin on a cookie sheet in the oven to catch the drippings that run out so your home does not fill with smoke as your blissful meal is baking away.*
Happy Fall Day.