Apple BraidPosted: October 27, 2011
This little treat was a cinch. It was sweet and lovely and just what this perfect fall weather needs.
Do you see all that apple-y goodness? Run along. Gather your apples. You only need 5-6 of them. Scurry scurry. Shan’t waste time!
Here’s the recipe:
1 loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed
5-6 apples, peeled & sliced & diced
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. nutmeg
– melt butter in sauce pan, add in the apples, and cook for a few minutes. add in sugars, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. cook until apples are tender.
-roll out the loaf, long and skinny.
– scatter apples down the middle (try not to drag all the sauce with, or after you bake you will have just a soggy pile of apples. no bueno.
– cut strips along the sides of the loaf, braid the lovely fellow shut.
– bake at 325 degrees until golden brown (20-25 min)
– pour icing over the top (I chose the classic milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar route)
– sprinkle with almonds
We ate the apple braid for breakfast for the most part. It was lovely. A nice complement to a steaming cup of coffee.
Our camera died half way through the apple braid’s process. So my dull phone photo will have to suffice. I know you want to grab that fork and eat it.
I highly recommend a lovely breakfast of apple braid & coffee. Give it a shot.